Are you on your weight loss journey and want to check your calorie consumption? Read on to know how many calories you should eat every day to lose healthy weight. We also share some pro tips on how to reduce your calorie intake and make your food choices.
How Much Do You Know About Calories?
Monitoring your calorie consumption is equally important as working out if you want to lose weight. Paying attention to your food habits and changing your diet into a healthy and nutritious one can make your weight loss journey more quick and steady. However, calorie intake should only be restricted if you are physically fit and aiming for healthy weight loss.
Before reading further, answer this question to see if you know the real approach to weight loss?
Is reducing your calorie intake enough to lose weight, or should you also design your meals in a way so that they are highly nutritious yet less calorific?
If you thought that only restricting your calorie consumption would help you, you were wrong. You cannot eat a burger every day and skip another meal to stay under your calorie limit to lose weight. Weight and fat loss should go hand in hand through specifically-designed diet plans. You should eat frequent yet small meals to boost your metabolism and stay energized the entire day.
Factors on Which Your Calorie Requirement Depends
A calorie is the amount of energy required to increase the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1°C. Hence, our body utilizes the calories we eat to give us the strength to continue our activities throughout the day.
On average, various studies suggest that adult women need somewhere about 1,600-2,400 calories per day, whereas adult men require between 2,000 to 3,000 calories. Precisely, the calorie consumption depends from person to person based on their age, height, health, lifestyle, activity, etc.
Calories Alert! How Many Calories Should You Ideally Consume?
Now that you know what your approach to calorie restriction should be, the answer to your big fat question is given below!
Calorie Requirement According to Age
A healthy individual’s calorie consumption should be as follows if the primary goal is to maintain body weight:
|Age Group||Calorie Requirement (Males)||Calorie Requirement (Females)|
*Calorie intake also depends on activity level and must be calculated precisely through calorie counters or certified dieticians or nutritionists
Calorie Requirement for Weight Loss
If you want to lose weight, here are a few ways to determine your calorie requirement per day:
- Calculate your BMI online to see if you are overweight or on the verge of being so.
- If yes, go ahead with your weight loss plan.
- Choose an online calorie calculator and fill in your basic details such as age, gender, current weight, height, and involvement in physical activity.
- The calculator instantly suggests your recommended calorie intake.
- Cut off 500 calories from the suggested calorie requirement for a healthy weight loss of around 0.45 kg or 1 pound per week.
- If you can follow a vigorous diet, you may go ahead and cut 1000 calories to lose around 1.5 kg or 2 pounds per peek. However, this is not generally recommended for everyone, unless highly knowledgeable about nutrition and diet planning.
How to Lose Weight by Reducing Your Calorie Requirement?
To lose weight by cutting off around 500 calories every day, you should:
- Keep a note of everything you eat in a day and make sure the total calorie intake complies with your suggested calorie intake goal
- Plan your meals and distribute them in accordingly
- Drink around 8 glasses of water per day
- Or, you should consult a dietician to make a suitable diet plan for you according to your calorie requirement
General Examples of Shaving Off Calories for Weight Loss
Since we do not recommend cutting off more than 500 calories, the two examples shared below only focus on losing 0.45 kg or 1 pound per week.
Weight Loss for Young Males
Height: 5.5 ft or 167 cm
In such a case, your recommended calorie intake should be 1955 to maintain weight. If you want to lose weight, you can reduce your calorie intake to 1455 calories per day.
In such a case, if someone aims to go for extreme weight loss and cut 1000 calories, the remaining calories will be only 955, which is not recommended at all. Lowering your calorie intake by 1,000 calories can lead to reduced metabolism, unhealthy weight loss, lack of energy, and dehydration.
Weight Loss for Young Females
Height: 5.2 ft or 158 cm
In the above case, 1700 calories are required to maintain body weight but to lose it, one should set a goal of 1200 calories per day.
Proven Tips to Lose More Weight through Calorie Counting
Additionally, some of these tips will help you, even more, to get in shape and reach your desired weight goal.
- Drink water before meals and while working out to stay hydrated and flush toxins from your body.
- Limit your sugar intake and swap it for healthy substitutes.
- Involve more proteins in your diet than carbs and fats.
- Eat smaller but more frequent meals.
- Workout at least five days a week.
- Lift weight and aim for muscle gain and fat loss.
- Get adequate sleep, and don’t stress yourself too much about losing weight.
- Chew slowly and adequately to eat lesser food in comparison to eating carelessly by swallowing.
- Do not eat junk food or drink carbonated drinks.
- Don’t consider calorie counting as a beast because it is alright to have a cheat day or overeat your favorite meal once in a while.
Everyone’s weight loss journey is different, and so is his or her calorie requirement. Remember to not being so calorie deficit that you end up being weak and pale. Set easy weight loss goals even if it is longer, but do not push yourself beyond your limits. Involve yourself in physical activity and maintain levels of proteins, fibers, carbohydrates, and fats in your diet.
Shifting to a properly planned diet is smarter and more effective than starving yourself. To conclude, it is recommended that women shouldn’t get less than 1,200 calories, and men should not go under the limit of 1,500 calories a day.
Is this blog post helpful? If so, please share the same with your family and friends.
Your sharing and comments would encourage me to write on more effective and valuable contents for you. THANK YOU.